Angerstein


John Julius AngersteinThe nearest Pub to Ormiston Road is the Angerstein Hotel.  Angerstein is a reference to John Julius Angerstein who once owned the Westcombe Park and East Greenwich area. Angerstein was the illegitimate son of a Russian Empress and an English Merchant and came to London in the care of a Doctor Angerstein whose name he took. 

His background was enough to enable him to become involved in shipping and he soon made a fortune for himself through the slave trade and the ownership of several plantations.  Later in life he took to underwriting and as one of the founding "Names" of Lloyds of London, transforming it in 1770 from the informal meetings in a coffee house to a properly regulated insurance company. A
round this time he married, began a family and sought a country home in which he could raise his children. He bought the gently sloping woodland between Blackheath and the Woolwich Road and commissioned "Woodlands" in 1774 where he lived for 50 years.

WoodlandsYou will find Woodlands today on Mycenae Road where under the ownership of Greenwich Council it provides various services to the community, being until recently the local history museum. Angerstein also owned a Wharf on the Thames and with the coming of the railway to Charlton in 1849 he built the single track "Angerstein Wharf" line down to the river Thames in 1852, which is still used today to transport gravel from the riverside and which you can walk across from the Charlton side of the A102(M).

As the chairman of Lloyds of London, Angerstein became exceedingly rich and taking advantage of the turmoil of the French Revolution acquired several masterpieces by the likes of Rembrant, Titian and Rubens. When he eventually died in 1858 his art collection was so unique that it was bought by the government from the estate and was the foundation of the National Gallery where Angerstein's works can still be seen today.

Woodlands and its extensive land was also sold and over the next few years was split up and built-on, Coombe Farm being one part of the estate and the location today of Ormiston Road.

.